When I hear the word mighty, I think of a warrior on a horse winning the ultimate battle. He is unbeatable and never weary. Such a person sounds like a fantasy. Jesus is the mighty warrior. He shows his power and strength in all areas of life. In this post, I will share just a few areas that Jesus shows us His power. We will see what a mighty God we serve.
Show His strength in creation
About 9 years ago, my husband and I moved to the other side of Canada. That brought thousands of kilometres between me and my family. When we go home and visit, I get the same question over again.
How do you like Edmonton?
I give the same answer: We love it, we just wish Canada could be smaller.
If it were up to me, I would put less space between me and my parents. I would shrink the country so we could be driving distance from home and stay in the city we feel called to live in.
The one problem with that plan is that I don’t have that type of power.
I can’t make the country smaller and I don’t have the intellect to invent teleportation.
When God created the heavens and the earth, He proves that His power is huge!! Not only did He form the land, the sky and the sea, but He put all the stars in their place and created the universe (of which we have yet found the end).
God took nothing and made everything around us. What a mighty God we serve.
Creation is a magnificent display of His creativity, ability and power.
- Genesis 1
- Jeremiah 10:12 ESV It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens.
- Psalm 65:6 ESV The one who by his strength established the mountains, being girded with might;
Shows His power through Miracles
Creation is not the only thing that displays the power of God. There are many instances where God showed His power in the Old Testament, but I am going to skip all those, and go all the way to the New Testament and look at Jesus’ ministry.
When Jesus started His ministry, He showed His might by performing miracles. He turned water into wine, made the lame to walk, and the bling to see. He healed leprosy and many other diseases.
These miracles were a way of showing that the power He had was unlike any other.
The word of His power spread and everywhere he went, people followed to ask for healing.
We don’t know how many miracles He performed in His life because I believe some were not recorded. Each miracle was a show of power and gives us a glimpse of God’s ability. What a mighty God we serve.
Here is a list of His miracles.
His Power over Sin
Miracles were not the only thing that Jesus showed His power.
Jesus showed He has the power to forgive Sin.
- Matthew 9:1-7 So He (Jesus) got into a boat, crossed over, and came to His own city. 2 Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you.” 3 And at once some of the scribes said within themselves, “This Man blasphemes!” 4 But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts? 5 For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise and walk’? 6 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—then He said to the paralytic, “Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” 7 And he arose and departed to his house.
Jesus knows that people have ailments. But ultimately, those diseases are not what’s killing us. Our sin is what causes separation from God. We are all guilty of sin and carry that weight.
Even though Jesus showed His compassion by healing people, He had a greater purpose. That was to forgive people for their sins. What a mighty God we serve.
Jesus has the authority to forgive sin. How do we know that? Part of the answer, and the answer given here, is that He has the power to heal…
The point is that if Jesus can take care of the effects of sin–by healing a paralytic or a leper, or by raising a dead person–He can therefore also take care of the cause of the illness–by forgiving the sin. For Jesus the forgiving of sins and the healing of diseases are two sides of His mission, with the forgiveness of sins being the most important. Allen Ross
Related Blog Posts
- Jesus says: I am the Alpha and Omega
- Behold The Lamb of God
- Jesus is The Truth
- Jesus is The Son of God
- 12 Powerful Names of God
- Digging Deeper Christian Community
His Power over Death
Jesus came to earth and told people He was the son of God. He showed power through His miracles and even raised other people from the dead.
But He showed ultimate power when Jesus rose from the dead and defeated sin.
- Romans 6:9-10 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.
- Romans 1:4 who was declared the Son of God with power by the resurrection from the dead, according to the Spirit of holiness, Jesus Christ our Lord
When Jesus rose from the dead, He showed He has power over death. Death could not defeat Him. What a mighty God we serve.
His Power cancels our fear
I think that there is a part of each of us that is afraid of death. I know I am saved and I know where I am going, but there is still a part of me that fears dying.
The Bible tells us we don’t have to fear death because we have one who is greater than death.
- Hebrews 2:14-15 Through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
Jesus has already won the battle against death. He won!! We have no reason to fear an ending that has already been written and a battle that has already been won. What a mighty God we serve.
What a Mighty God we serve
Before writing this blog post, I knew Jesus was powerful, but I didn’t really appreciate all the areas in which Jesus showed His power.
This post barely scratches the surface of all the ways Jesus shows us His mighty hand.
What a mighty God we serve!!
In the comments below, share how Jesus has shown you His power.